HIGH SECURITY TYPE DEADBOLT LOCKS
Available on the market today are many different brands of “High Security” type deadbolt locks. CX5, Medeco, Abloy, ASSA, Mul-T-Lock are just a few of the name brands available for you to purchase. Some offer unique features but the one thing they all offer is “Key Control”. You might ask, what is Key Control and how does it work?
The idea is quite simple. When you purchase a High Security Deadbolt Lock you are usually given a card that indicates you are the owner of that specific lock and usually the only one that can have keys duplicated. In most instances, the only place that can duplicate the key for you is the Locksmith or Locksmith Company that supplied and installed the lock. This allows you to have complete control over the number of keys that are duplicated. It is a great idea from that point of view but there are other factors involved that you should consider before laying out a bundle of cash to have one put on your door.
1) Usually the Lock Cylinder and face of the lock are made of hardened tempered steel and are resistant to drilling.
2) The ring that encompasses the lock face is usually also made of a hardened tempered steel able to resist brute force attacks with ViseGrips or Crowbars.
3) Most High Security lock cylinders have some type of mechanism in place to defeat picking or bumping the lock open, like a side bar, mushroom pins and a unique key style.
1) The lock is only as good as the door it is going on. If you have a flimsy door or even a window in your door you are wasting your money.
2) Gives you a “FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY” because break and enter artists have many different methods of entering your property and attacking your door is not the only way that they gain entry.
3) Locks were created to “KEEP THE HONEST PEOPLE HONEST“. If someone wants into your property they are going to gain access regardless.
STANDARD TYPE DEADBOLT LOCKS
There are also many manufacturers of “Standard” type deadbolt locks available in the marketplace today. There are also various materials used in the manufacture process of these locks. Some manufacturers use solid brass to make the lock cylinder, others may use a cast metal process and others plastic. Some may have a hardened tempered steel ring that encompasses the face of the lock and others only supply a hollow ring that can be crushed with Vise Grips.
1) Standard type Deadbolt Locks are readily available through hardware stores and other outlets.
2) They are usually sold at reasonable or dirt cheap prices.
3) They are usually available in a variety of finishes so matching the finish to your existing door hardware is usually easy.
4) You can have the key duplicated almost anywhere.
1) The manufacturing process will determine the cost of this type of lock. Remember, you only get what you pay for.
2) Those that come supplied with a hollow ring that encompasses the face of the lock will enable entry to your property by several different methods, ViseGrips or Crowbars.
3) Most deadbolt locks sold through retail outlets can be picked or bumped open. There is however, a new style of lock available called a “Smart Lock” which is pick and bump resistant.
4) If you choose to buy a “Smart Lock” you should know be aware that they have been known to malfunction in the past, usually locking out the property owner.
5) You can have the key duplicated almost anywhere.
Let me repeat myself, the lock is only as good as the door it is installed on. Locks were originally made to help keep the “Honest People, Honest”. If someone wants to gain entry to your property, your door is not the only access point available to them.
If you are interested in purchasing high security lock cylinders for your home or business, we carry a brand called CX5. Call us at the number listed below to get more information about this fine high security product.
Security Article Written by: Toronto Locksmith
This Article is Copyright and may not be re-published in whole or in part without express written consent.